Wicomico Day School provides programs for students in a positive atmosphere, emphasizing intellectual, social, emotional, cultural, and physical growth. The educational environment shall be one in which students are treated with respect in order to learn respect. Developmentally appropriate programs will encourage students to make the most of their inherit talents and to participate in diverse activities structured to challenge the mind, body, and spirit.
Wicomico Day School exists to educate and care for students from the age of six weeks and through 8th grade. In order to do this effectively, all phases of development must be addressed.
- To provide a relaxed, loving, and calm atmosphere where self-concept is enhanced, independence and choices are encouraged, and self-discipline is gained in an environment where the student knows the limits and expectations.
- To encourage curiosity and a sense of wonder with emphasis on self-motivation.
- To provide an atmosphere in which students have respect for others.
- To recognize group needs vs. individual differences.
- To establish respect for the school equipment and materials.
- To instill a sense of curiosity.
- To provide an atmosphere where students discover and explore.
- To teach independence through teaching how and where to find solutions.
- To provide a wide variety of activities within a routine where cooperation is encouraged.
- To provide curriculum areas of reading and reading readiness, math, science, art, music and movement, literature, history, geography, practical life, dramatic play, and language arts. Through these activities students will learn to be able to trust their own feelings about what they learn, see, and do and to begin sharing these experiences with others.
- To encourage students to use their bodies in a variety of active ways by participating in fine and gross motor activities both indoors and outdoors.
- To develop a sense of sportsmanship and fair play.
- To establish room awareness so that a safe environment is always present both indoors and outdoors.
- To provide opportunities for students to experience creative art experiences.
- To provide opportunities for students to do craft projects.
- To provide dramatic play experiences.
- To learn to appreciate music and participate in musical activities.
- To in still in each student an application for beauty and nature.